Google Base + Gadgets = Google Base Gadgets

Friday, March 16, 2007 at 2:54 PM

By Clay Bavor, Product Manager

A few months ago, I wanted to share some recipes I'd uploaded to Google Base with friends, but there wasn't an easy way to do it. So over a few weekends I used the Google Base API, the Google Gadgets API, and a lot of JavaScript to create Google Base Gadgets.

Google Base Gadgets are a simple and configurable interface for searching Google Base data from your Google Personalized Homepage or, using a Syndicated Google Base Gadget, most any web page or blog. Here's an example of a Google Base Gadget that searches recipes I've uploaded:



You can configure your own gadget to search all data of a particular item type in Base (for example, vehicles, recipes, or jobs), or you can customize it to search just your own data, like I did for my recipes gadget.

Also, developers note: we're releasing Google Base Gadgets as an open-source, Apache-licensed example application of the Google Base API, so feel free to adapt the gadget source code for your own uses.

Want to configure your own Google Base Gadget? Get started with these quick instructions.