Spotlight on a Support Team Member: Robert Hotran

Friday, February 09, 2007 at 4:20 PM

By Robert Hotran

Hello, I'm Robert, and I've been a part of the Google Base team since we launched in November 2005. I started working at Google as a contractor in April 2005. I quickly grew to love my job and my team, and so I jumped at the chance to become a full-time employee. You would expect me to say that I wanted access to all the perks and benefits of full-timers, but more than anything, I can't say enough good things about the Google Base team. My typical day on the Google Base team includes working on Google Base/Google Checkout integration, reviewing bulk uploads, and answering emails from content providers. I especially enjoy working on the Base/Checkout integration because I love how easy it is for anyone to sell an item on Google Base and accept their payment through Google Checkout.

Outside of work, you'll often find me enjoying the Bay Area’s vibrant music scene. I consider myself a consummate amateur guitarist and can play drums when necessary. These days, you're likely to find me in the audience at a Gogol Bordello or Flaming Lips show. I am listening to Beirut as I type this.

As a veteran on the team, I've seen Google Base grow from a rumor in the blogosphere to a beta project that is growing fast, and it's been a great ride. If you're looking for a Google Base tip, I recommend that you make sure you're using the minimum required attributes in your bulk uploads. And be sure not to include any old Froogle attributes in your bulk upload, either. Starting at the end of February, we will no longer be posting items that do not include a minimum number of attributes.