In the Spotlight: Podcast Supplemental

Monday, March 06, 2006 at 12:37 PM

By Denise Gamboa, Associate Product Marketing Manager

You don't necessarily have to have lots of stuff to find Google Base useful. There are lots of you out there who have just a few recipes or one-off events that you'd like to post. Recently we caught up with Louis Privette, a University of Cincinnati student, about his productions. Here's what he had to say:

"My podcasts are best described as a hobbyist effort. I can't warrant the expense of a hosting service and don't currently have the knowledge to create a flashy media site to showcase this audio. I simply can't afford the costs involved. However, I do want to share with the world what I have made. I made them for an audience, after all.

Bringing attention to the mere existence of these podcasts is a great challenge. Without the good fortune (so far!) of word-of-mouth or a fan base, I have to make an extra effort to draw people to them. Which means I need a simple way to present this media. With my itinerant (student) lifestyle (read: relying on computer lab access), I usually don't have the freedom to install programs that would help me publish. Simplest for me is a web-based service.

So Google Base provides the closest means to self-publishing I have found. It's a permanent way to organize, archive, and encode ('tag') the contextual data of my content with the least upfront cost -- and without attention diverted away from my site. Basically I want to have my cake and eat it too :). If it helps enable people to find my podcasts, then my time expended in producing Podcast Supplemental is very much a worthwhile effort."

Thanks, Louis -- keep on producing and we'll keep listening.